October 4, 2022

Food and Health: Common Foods that can be Toxic

Cherry Pits

The cherry centre comprises hard stones full of prussic, also known as cyanide. This acid is extremely poisonous. If you do happen to swallow one, don’t panic. The intact pits will pass through your body and out the other end. When you eat your cherries, avoid crushing or crunching the pits.

Apple Seeds

Also, apple seeds contain cyanide, so it’s not a smart idea to eat a few of them as a snack. If you accidentally eat apple seeds, the protective coating will keep the cyanide out of your body. It’s important to be careful. Cyanide can even cause seizures and rapid breathing in small amounts, and death.


Elderberry can be taken as a supplement or syrup to boost immunity and treat constipation or cold symptoms. Unripe elderberry berries, bark, and leaves can make you feel worse than good. Both contain lectin and cyanide, which can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.


It adds a pleasant, nutty taste when you add Nutmeg in small quantities to your baked goods. It can be dangerous if you eat it in a teaspoon. Myristicin, an oil which can cause hallucinations and dizziness, confusion, hallucinations, hallucinations, and seizures, can make even a small amount toxic.

Green Potatoes

Glycoalkaloids are poisonous substances found in potatoes’ leaves, sprouts, and underground stems (tubers). Glycoalkaloids can make potatoes look green if exposed to sunlight, damaged or aged. Consuming potatoes high in glycoalkaloid can lead to nausea, vomiting, confusion, headaches and even death.

Raw Kidney Beans

Raw red kidney beans are the most concentrated of all bean varieties. Lectins can cause diarrhoea, stomach pain, vomiting, and even nausea. These side effects can be caused by as little as 4-5 kidney beans. It is best to boil the beans before you eat them.

Rhubarb Leaves

The stalk can be eaten, but the leaf should not. Rhubarb leaves are high in oxalic acid. This binds calcium to make it more difficult for the body to absorb it. Your bones won’t grow as they should, and you are at risk of developing kidney stones, blood-clotting problems, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and coma.

Bitter Almonds

Both sweet and bitter almonds contain amygdalin. This chemical compound can be turned into cyanide. However, bitter almonds have the highest levels. Although sweet almonds can be eaten as a snack, untreated bitter almonds can cause nausea, cramps, and diarrhoea.

Star Fruit

Star fruit should be avoided if you have kidney disease. Normal kidneys can remove the toxins, but if your system isn’t able to, it can cause mental confusion, seizures and even death.


These mushrooms are great for pizza, but you should be cautious about wild mushrooms. The death cap ( Amanita phalloides) and the destroying angel( Amanita virosa) are particularly dangerous. Consuming wild mushrooms can lead to nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, liver failure, coma and death.

Raw Cashews

Cashews sold in shops with a raw label don’t look exactly like that. They are steamed before they reach shelves to get rid of an ” urushiol ” toxin in their shells. Urushiol is similar to poison ivy’s toxin. Consuming pre-steamed cashews may cause severe allergic reactions that can lead to death.


Like raw cashews and raw cashews, the skin, bark, leaves, and hair of mangoes are contaminated with urushiol. This is the poison in poison ivy. A mango bite can trigger severe reactions, including rash and swelling.

You may have missed