Cancer has become one of the most common diseases that people are suffering from. However, if a person is well-informed and adopts healthy living, he can avoid this disease. The right eating habits can actually have immense effect on a person’s health. If a person has a family history where people suffered from cancer, he must be extra cautious. Research has proved that some food items have potential to fight against cancer. Hence if a person has knowledge about them, he can incorporate the foods in his diet.
Choosing Right Fruits and Vegetables
Certain food items that are effective to reduce cancer risks are:
- Broccoli: Few people know that this vegetable is the most valuable against cancer throughout the body. It leads to reduced levels of free radicals and carcinogens. It is very effective against colon, breast and rectal cancer.
- Carrots: These are a rich source of beta-carotene. These help in fighting against cancer in various body parts like intestine, breast, mouth, stomach, lung etc.
- Brussels sprouts: A person can consume these sprouts in interesting ways to stay healthy. Since these are green vegetable, they offer many benefits for healthy life.
- Cabbage: Another vegetable which allows a person to fight cancer. It can be consumed in soups, salad or as a cooked vegetable.
- Mushrooms: Certain types of mushrooms help reduce risks, by attacking cancerous cells and restricting their growth.
- Jalapenos: Jalapenos has capsaicin which works against chemicals that cause cancer and helpful in cancer care. These are usually used to spice up dishes however, some people prefer eating them raw in salads.
- Peas: One can reduce cancer risks by adding peas to diet. These have phytochemicals which prove to be very beneficial.
- Garlic: It does not work directly on cancer-causing substances. Instead, it enhances the activity of immune cells and leads to breaking down of substances that can cause cancer.
- Sweet potatoes: These are also rich in phytochemicals. Apart from this, they are a good source of beta-carotene and fiber.
- Kale: Kale has a good amount of calcium, vitamin A and vitamin C. It helps eradicate free radicals and can be consumed in different forms.
- Grapes: Consumption of grapes restricts growth of cancer causing cells. These have high levels of Resveratrol which works as an anti- inflammatory agent.
- Watermelon: Another fruit which is a source of vitamin C and vitamin A. It has lycopene which is beneficial to avoid cancer.
- Grapefruits: They help in eliminating carcinogens and thus are helpful in reducing chances of cancer.
Some Useful Tips
Apart from consuming plant based food items, one can also reduce cancer risks by following certain simple steps. The most important thing is to consume more fiber. Fiber allows proper digestion and also eliminates cancer causing substances before they can actually cause any harm to the body. One can also reduce consumption of meat as they are rich in fat. When a person chooses a food item, he must be aware of the amount and type of fat he is consuming. This helps in planning diet in an effective manner. For this the person must search for information and consult a good dietician or doctor. Another way of fighting against cancer is to use the right cooking methods. People, pecially elders, who want to stay healthy and avoid serious diseases like cancer should pay heed to their eating habits which will help them stay healthy and active.